Unfortunately, if your credit score or FICO score is 540 or under, you have poor credit and will not qualify for most traditional credit cards. Fortunately, however, there are products available that will allow you to get a Visa or MasterCard and even help you rebuild your damaged credit score. qualify for credit card offers mostly marketed to consumers with good credit. If you recently found out that you have poor credit, we strongly recommend you check your credit score and report for free to ensure that the information is accurate and to learn how to avoid future credit problems.
Best credit cards for credit scores 540 or below:
Important! The following cards are for people who have established credit but need to improve their credit score. If you DO NOT have any credit history, you may not be approved for most cards on this site. Instead, we recommend the First Progress Secured Platinum Elite MasterCard which requires a security deposit but does not require a credit score.
Capital One® Secured MasterCard® – The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® offers a proven way to build credit with no processing or application fees. All credit levels accepted. Only a $29 annual fee.
Learn more »
Is your credit score not 550, 560, 570, 580, 590? Find more top credit cards for your credit score (FICO score) range:
- Best credit cards for credit score 800 and above
- Best credit cards for credit score 750, 760, 770, 780, 790
- Best credit cards for credit score 700, 710, 720, 730, 740
- Best credit cards for credit score 650, 660, 670, 680, 690
- Best credit cards for credit score 600, 610, 620, 630, 640
- Best credit cards for credit score 550, 560, 570, 580, 590